Saturday, March 24, 2012

Changing communicative environments. and Group update.


New view. Google+ has the upper edge in student preference.

The advent of using the Google+ environment for day to day communication is terrific.
It may lessen the amount of time students visit my Blog but...Idon't mind that. It is also likely that I'll update my blog less often. I'll tend to use this space as a more reflective personal capture rather than a pointed feedback device for students to follow.
I think it is important however to allow students to follow my Blog as a matter of letting them see that I'm prepared to be brave and "walk the talk" (as the saying goes) or "practice what I preach".
The student teams have taken quite well to the Lofting discipline. I can't see anyone too far behind the norm yet. I perhaps have one or two students that are not a natural lofts-persons but are putting the effort in and will win in the end, I'm sure. I'm seeing great signs of team building every day.

How do I know that the students' are migrating more comfortably to google+?
Well...the conversations are there. The work and inquiry is there, the social building of friendships and groups is evident there, etc... It is obvious to me that this Blog is less likely to be a regular feature for student comment. It is very likely to be a more reflective space for my educative experiences and journey log. As with any good ship.


Library Team joins CAT Boatbuilding students in group activity.

We all had an enjoyable group session last Wednesday where I had invited three colleagues Richard, Mariette and Penny to join us in group discussion and shared insights to develop a means to capture of our growing knowledge base. Thenidea was alos to expplore the ability of the Unitec Library in aiding research of topics. These topics are student set and small group researched.
This in turn will give my student group the chance to reciprocate the shared time, by presenting to my colleagues (as guests) their findings. Hopefully this will be work that will be referenced, checked for copyright status and have had a Library document as part of it's process.

No comments:

Post a Comment